IRRECONCILABLES

The threats which have been uttered at occasions by public speakers or newspapers that now, when the nation is at war, is the time to advance the interests of any one class, relying on the weakening power of Government to quell internal disorder, have an ugly sound. Public speakers are somewhat inclined to wax grandiloquent in the rostrum or over the after-dinner coffee and cigars, dreaming that their words make the nation shake. The newspapers are the German papers, which still consider themselves aggrieved, and continue to cry out against "perfidious Albion," who is our ally. But it is not pro-Germans alone who, by word, are striving to prevent our full effort in the war.

It is well to note that a minority which makes threats of violence against the ordered Government may compose a revolution if it be a minority large enough. But when it is a small minority, seeking its irreconcilable aims with indifference to the welfare of its nation at war, its work is not of revolution, but of treason. And treason has but one meaning.