ESTABLISH NAVAL SCHOOL

INSTRUCTION HAS BEGUN

The first of the nautical training schools for the instruction of officers of the new merchant marine has been opened in the Students' Astronomical Laboratory of the University. Fourteen similar schools will be established at different parts along the Atlantic coast to recruit and train the 10,000 officers needed for the merchant ships to be built.

According to present plans the other schools will be maintained at Gloucester, New Bedford; Tiverton, R. I.; Greenport, L. I.; Machias, Rockland, Boothbay Harbor, and Portland, Me. Later the training system may be extended to the Pacific coast and the Great Lakes. Dean Burton, of Technology, has been placed in charge of the instruction at these several schools.

Professor Willson in Charge.

Professor R. W. Willson '73, director of the Astronomical Laboratory, has turned the facilities of the laboratory over to the Shipping Board until July 1. In conjunction with the course here, it is also planned to give instruction at M. I. T. It is expected that 50 will be enrolled in the two schools, for which four or five instructors will be needed. At present H. T. Stetson, of the Astronomical Laboratory, is teaching the 12 men now enrolled.

Until the closing of the school at the laboratory, it is planned to give instruction for four hours a day in "taking the sun" by means of the sextant and an artificial horizon. After this training the students will be placed aboard boats, probably to be furnished by the United Fruit Company, for actual service in determining latitude and longitude at sea.

Applicants for admission to the schools may be of any age. Good physical condition and considerable previous nautical experience are, however, necessary. The course of instruction is designed for men who have already a good foundation of nautical knowledge, and who, with about two months' training, would be capable as an officer aboard a merchant vessel. Those who desire to enter one of the Boston training schools are to apply by mail to Director Henry Howard, at the Custom House.