TWO MACHINE GUNS HERE

COMBAT FIRING BEGUN

Two machine guns have been presented to the University Reserve Officers' Training Corps by a donor whose name has not yet been announced. The guns were received at the armory yesterday, and will be immediately shipped to Wakefield, where their use will be demonstrated to the various companies during their week on the range.

Dispatches from the CRIMSON's special correspondent with the first battalion at Wakefield indicate that the work there is progressing in the most satisfactory manner possible. Having completed the firing at 200 and 300 yards Tuesday, the men yesterday shot at distances of 500 and 600 yards, after spending a morning at combat firing by platoons at unknown ranges. On the whole the shooting is excellent, and the company averages high.

The Wakefield day starts with first call at 5 o'clock, followed in 15 minutes by reveille and 15 minutes later by breakfast. After breakfast sick call is sounded, but to date few men have reported at this formation. Work on the range starts immediately, continuing with an hour out for lunch until 5.30 o'clock in the afternoon.

The food is satisfactory and the sleeping accommodations adequate. Phillips Brooks House is taking care of the distribution of mail and newspapers, and is furnishing writing paper and other needs of the men.

Capt. Cordier Pleased With Work.

Captain Cordier visited the encampment yesterday afternoon and expressed himself as highly satisfied at the manner in which the work is being conducted. Captain Shannon, who is in absolute charge of the men as long as they are on the range, has performed his task of thoroughly organizing them and apportioning their time admirably.

The second and third battalions are continuing their work in and around Cambridge, half of the time of each company being devoted to military topography and field work in trench construction under the French officers. Bayonet fencing, gallery practice in preparation for the range work, and close and extended order drills consume the balance of the time. The second set of student officers appointed in these battalions last Monday have made rapid strides, and are now for the most part able to fill their positions creditably.

Dr. Darling delivered his second lecture on first aid last night. His subject was the treatment of that class of wounds in which the skin is broken. The series will be completed tomorrow night.