CORNELL ACTIVE IN AVIATION

Over 50 Men in Course Preliminary to Government Instruction.

The third increment of students for the United States School of Aeronautics at Cornell has recently arrived in Ithaca, bringing the total enrolment of cadets in the school up to 52. The men are from a number of the eastern colleges and after completing a six weeks' course of training here will attend one of the Government aviation schools. They will receive only a preliminary course and will do no actual flying.

The aviation school has also received from the Curtiss Aeroplane Company a monoplane, which has been assembled. This brings the total equipment up to two biplanes and one monoplane. No motors are on the machines, as this part of the work will be taken up when the men go to the Government schools.

"The work is progressing so rapidly," Captain Davidson of the Cornell Military Department has said, "that we have telegraphed Washington that the school will now be able to take in the 27 more men and thereby be at its full capacity. These 27 men will reach Ithaca Monday. There will then be 75 men in the school and as this is the limit set, no more new increments will come until the first group have been sent to Mineola."

The course given at Cornell is divided into two parts, the preliminary three weeks of drill and tactics followed by five weeks of lectures and laboratories, interspersed with calisthenics and one hour of drill each day. The discipline will be substantially the same as that of West Point and weekly examinations will be held to determine the standing of each man. Those who do not do good work will either be put back and have to repeat part of the course or else be recommended for dismissal from the school.