PRESIDENT LOWELL URGED MEN TO TRAIN---ONLY 458 ENROLLED IN COURSES TO; DATE

DISCIPLINE NECESSARY

"Military training means training a man to use that part of him which lies above his eyebrows: he must be more than a mere mark for the enemy to shoot at; he must be able to lead movements against the enemy," said President Lowell at the military mass meeting in the New Lecture Hall last night. "Why is it worth while to men here? It is worth while to the men with previous experience because they want to make sure of as high commissions as they canget from future federal training camps to the third of which men who were members of the R. O. T. C. last spring and summer will be admitted if of the proper age, according to word received today. It is worth while for the men as yet untrained in case next summer's campaign be both the last one, though I hope it will, and also because it is worth while to do what others are doing." President Lowell compared Germany to a band of brigands who, after robbing the bank and shooting up the town, ask the posse that catches them to arbitrate. He declared that we are not fighting for terms but until the enemy throws up his hands, and that it is the duty of all to help make him throw up his hands.

First Meetings Today

The first meetings of the Military Science 1 and 2 come this afternoon in the New Lecture Hall at 2.30 and 1.30 o'clock respectively. Major Fly will be there as acting commandant, together with Captain Amann, to explain the purposes and details of the work for the coming year.

Only 458 men have registered for the two course as yet, a very small number even though the early information in regard to them was somewhat indefinite. Registration, will be open at last until October 1 and men expecting to join should go to Military Headquarters in University Hall (open from 9 to 5 o'clock daily), where all information can be obtained and legitimate changes in courses can be attended to. The Faculty has given the committee on the Choice of Electives the discretion to waive the rules of concentration and distribution if necessary and no additional fee will be charged if a military course is taken as an extra course.

Professor R. B. Perry '97 outlined the work of the course. The organization is still a Reserve Officers' Training Corps with an officer detained by the government as commandant, but in addition the two courses which will form the training to be given are a part of the college curriculum and count toward an A. B. degree. Military Science 1, the course for men who have had little or no previous training, is open to all members of every department of the University who are reasonably physically fit. It will consist of three parts, namely, sections, lectures, and drill. There will be one section meeting a week in which the Infantry Drill Regulations, and later the Field service Regulations, Small Arms Firing Manual, etc., will be studied. This section meeting will be arranged at times most consistent with the other work of students, as is done in other college courses. There will be two lectures a week on a large variety of subjects, the lectures coming early enough in the evening so as not to interfere with other engagements. Thus after tomorrow the 2.30 hour at which the course is listed now will be given up so as not to interfere with other courses coming at that hour. Finally, there will be two hours a week of practical work, consisting of drill and map-making, the theoretical and practical work keeping pace with each other.

Advanced Course for Trained Men.

The advanced course, Military Science 2, is intended for those men who were in the R. O. T. C. last summer and for others who have had an equivalent amount of training elsewhere. There will probably be no section meetings but there will be at least two lectures a week on advanced subjects, assuming a knowledge of American military organization and tactics but more particularly of the similar French organizations as taught by the French Mission during the summer. The course will be progressive in that use will be made of all previous information the students may possess. The lectures will also come in the evening, the 1.30 hour being discontinued as in the elementary course. The practical work for the advanced students will be three hours a week. For two of these hours the two courses will be combined, the men from Military Science 2 acting as the officers, noncommissioned officers and instructors at first, though when the new men have had sufficient experience they will be rotated through the various positions as was done in the R. O. T. C. so that each man may have a chance at practically every office.

It is planned to start at first with eight companies, forming two battalions, increasing to 12 companies if it becomes feasible. The organization of the corps should be completed by the middle of next week.

Captain Amann emphasized the fact that it is essential to learn modern methods of warfare in order to avoid the mistakes that were made at the beginning of the war. There are changes in the art of combat every month requring new armaments and weapons and it is necessary to keep in touch with the changes as they occur.

C. Canfield '19, who was captain of Company B. of the R. O. T. C., declared that this was no time to wonder what to do, but it was a time to act. There were two duties incumbent on all college men: namely, to prepare to be good citizens after the war and to prepare to lead troops on the western front. He dwelt on the wonderful opportunity afforded by the presence of Captain Amann as an instructor in the science of modern warfare and the fact that if no other result was reaped from the courses offered, coming in touch with a man who has actually been on the fighting line was an experience never to be regretted. Canfield urged the importance of discipline for without it the Corps would not deserve the name of a military organization. Every man should know the ground covered perfectly, high than grade A, and for those who intend to become specialists in some other branch of service, it is especially vital to know the ground work. The best way to live up to the record established by the R. O. T. C. last summer and to support the University to the utmost is by taking the military courses