CREW SQUAD NUMBERS 70 MEN

SMALL NUCLEUS OF FRESHMAN, HOWEVER, REPORTED TO COACH HAINES.

With more than 70 men reporting for the first crew practice of the year from all the classes of the University, Head Coach Haines looks forward to a successful season. This number of men, although far smaller than that of previous years, is, nevertheless, encouraging when so few of the experienced men are available. More men are still needed, however, to make the fall season and later the spring season completely successful. The Freshman class in particular should come out with more candidates. Only 30 reported yesterday, of which number about one-third were inexperienced men. The Freshman crew of this fall will form the nucleus of the crew to compete with Yale next spring; and will undoubtedly serve as a stepping stone to next year's University crew. All men will report at Newell boathouse today at 3.30 o'clock dressed to row. Any candidate who is unable to report at that time should reach Newell by 4. It is expected that yesterday's showing will be materially increased by new men today, so that the Freshman crew, at least, may continue its season us usual.

Athletes Best Soldiers

At yesterday's meeting, Coach Haines spoke briefly to the candidates, telling the plans for fall competitions as far as they are yet formed. "War has shown athletes to be the most desirable officers," he said, "and therefore it is our duty to train more of them." Of all the athletic activities offered this fall by the University, there can be no doubt that crew is the most beneficial, and the most interesting.

H. L. F. Kreger '16 corroborated Coach Haines, adding that it was the duty of every young man to fit himself physically to stand the strain of a soldier's life. The Military Science courses this year offer less physical and more mental training. It is, therefore, a patriotic duty of the men in these military courses to take some outside from of physical training. As the rowing will be arranged to avoid all conflicts with the military work, there can be no excuse offered on that ground.

A. Beane '11, who has coached the Freshman crews for several years, also addressed the meeting. He emphasized the need of some healthy outdoor activity besides Military Science, to keep men mentally as well as physically fit for war service.

Coach Haines will be in charge of both the Freshman and the upper class crews. Owing to the small number of men he will be able to give his personal attention to every candidate. He will be aided by H. L. F. Kreger '16, A. Beane '11, and Jack Manning.

F. Parkman '19 was yesterday appointed acting captain of the University crew. Parkman rowed on the first Freshman crew, and was on the University squad last spring.

Manager A. F. Tribble '19 has decided to start the Freshman managers competition next Monday, details of which will appear in Saturday's CRIMSON. This competition is the only one in which both the manager and the assistant manager who are successful, will be awarded their numerals. The successful managers also accompany the crews to Red Top in June