THREE NEW PROFESSORS NAMED

FACULTY GRANTS 23 LEAVES OF ABSENCE AND AWARDS SIX SCHOLARSHIPS.

At the meeting of the Board of Overseers on September 24, Edward Wyllys Taylor '88 was elected Professor of Neurology. Emory Leon Chaffee '08 was appointed Assistant Professor of Physics. Percy Rogers Howe was appointed Assistant Professor of Dental Research.

At a meeting of the Corporation on September 24, leave of absence for the year 1917-1918 was granted to: Professors Walter B. Cannon '96, A. C. Coolidge '87, Theodore Lyman'97, R. B. Perry '97 (second half), George W. Pierce '99, Richard B. Strong, J. H. Woods '87 (second half); Associate Professor John Warren '97, Assistant Professors Elliot G. Brackett, Richard C. Cabot '89, Arthur B. Lamb '03 (while in government service), R. B. Merriman '96 (first half), Harris P. Mosher '92, Francis W. Peabody '03 (first half), C. R. Post '04 (first half), K. G. T. Webster '93, Faculty Instructors Alexander S. Begg, Alexander Forbes '05, B. A. G. Fuller '00 (first half); Julius Klein '13 (first half), Frederick T. Lord '97 (first half); Lecturer Frederic G. Coburn; Research Fellow Richard D. Bell '08.

The following fellowships and scholarships were awarded for the year 1917-18: Nelson Robinson, Jr., Travelling Fellowship to Laurence Eldred Mowery; Austin Scholarship for Teachers to A. C. Klinger, University Scholarships to H. S. Boyd '17 and B. C. Clough '11; University Scholarships in Architecture to R. C. Roudebush 1 S.A. and F.S. Kingsbury 3 S.L.A.

Exchange Professor Chosen

It was voted to appoint: James Haughton Woods '87 Exchange Professor to France for the first half of 1917-18; Elwood Idell Terry '07, Visiting Lecturer on Forestry from Colorado College for the second half of 1917-18; Wallace Clement Sabine '91, Acting Director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory for the year 1917-18; Herbert Sidney Langfeld, Acting Director of the Psychological Laboratory for the year 1917-18.

The following appointments were also made: MacIver Woody '07, as Secretary of the Faculty of Medicine; Carl Wallance Miller, David Arnold Keys, Robert Franklin Field and Elmer Raymond Schaeffer '13, as Assistants in Physics; Arthur Bliss Seymour as Assistant in the Cryptogamic Herbarium; Earnest Henry Wilson as Assistant at the Arnold Arboretum; Leslie George Wright, Ralph Henry Price and James Fairbank Smith as Austin Teaching Fellows in Chemistry; Sumner Crushing Brooks as Research Fellow in Tropical Medicine; John Wilson '00, as Instructor in Modelling; Christian Nusbaum, James Beebee Brmsmade '13, Irvine Clifton Gardner '12, as Instructors in Physics; Philip Quincy Wright as Instructor in International Law; Frederick Simonds Hammett as Instructor in Anatomy; Frank Hunt as Instructor in Medicine; Charles Howard Walker '90, as Lecturer on the History of Architecture; Elmer Raymond Schaeffer '13, as Assistant Director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory; Joseph Wright, as Superintendent of the Library for Municipal Research; Willis Arnold Boughton '09, as Auditor of the Harvard Dining Halls; Leon Dupriez, as Visiting Lecturer on Government; Laurerence Shaw Mayo '10, as Assistant Dean of Harvard College; Morris Gray, Jr., '06, as Secretary for Employment; Francis Welles Hunnewell, 2nd, '02, as Secretary to the Corporation; Roger Pierce '04, as Secretary to the Corporation and Business Director of the Medical School; Edward Deshon Brandegee '81, as Regent.

The President reported that Charles Castro had been appointed and accepted as Exchange Professor from France for the first half of 1917-1918