WINTER CARNIVAL NEXT MONTH

SPORTING AND SOCIAL EVENTS OF DARTMOUTH MEET PLANNED.

The Dartmouth Outing Club will hold the annual Winter Carnival this year from February 14 to 16. Owing to the fact that the attendance will be so greatly reduced by war conditions, the outdoor meets and events of Carnival Week rather than the social affairs will he emphasized.

Events and details of importance include ski-jumping contests, the supper dance in the Commons, the Dramatic Association's production of "Heave To" and the Carnival Number of the Dartmouth Bema.

Invitations to enter teams in the ski and snowshoe races and in the ski-jumping contests have been sent to all colleges supporting a similar organization, and competitors are expected from New Hampshire State, Williams, Middlebury, Colgate and others. Instead of the usual method of opening the entries to the college, the Outing Club intends to choose its representatives for the intercollegiate events just as is done in other athletics. The men will be chosen for the team on a basis of the work in the early season preliminary meets which will start during the next two weeks.

Several Indoor Events.

There are three important indoor events. The first of these is the supper-dance on Thursday evening, February 14, followed by the dramatic club production. In former years a farce has always been played, but this year's show will be an original musical comedy, with book and lyrics both composed by undergraduates. The following evening is given over to the biggest affair of the week, the Carnival Ball, in the Alumni Gymnasium. As the closing entertainment, there will be a basketball game between Cornell and Dartmouth. At the same time, the Musical Clubs will give a concert in Webster Hall.

During the carnival, the Camera Club will throw open an exhibition of prize-winning photographs to the visitors, in the room of the Arts, Robinson Hall. Featuring the exhibit will be enlargements of wild animal and landscape pictures, taken by Dr. Leland Griggs, faculty advisor of the club.