MONDAY HOLIDAYS WILL NOT CLOSE UNIVERSITY

FUEL TO BE CONSERVED

The order of the National Fuel Administration decreeing the next ten Mondays legal holidays will not affect the University. It has been decided that the ruling does not hold in regard to colleges and consequently all academic engagements will be held as usual on the coalless days. It is understood that this same attitude is being taken by the other New England colleges and universities, although all are taking steps to aid the Government by reducing their use of fuel.

A scarcely perceptible saving in coal would result from the shut-down of courses on Mondays. All the College buildings which are being made use of by different branches of the Government service and all the dormitories would have to be heated as usual, so that only a few buildings such as Sever and Emerson Halls could be closed. The extra amount of fuel needed to heat these buildings would therefore be negligible.

Religious Services Transferred.

As another means of saving coal, however, the morning prayers, beginning Monday, January 21, will be transferred from Appleton Chapel to the Faculty Room in University Hall. The services on Sunday, beginning January 27, and thereafter, will be held in Sanders Theatre.

Conducting the morning prayers in the Faculty Room is a return to an earlier custom of the University. Holden Chapel, the first building designed solely for religious purposes at the University, was built in 1744, and morning prayers were held there until the building of Harvard Hall in 1765. For 50 years thereafter, services were held in Harvard Hall until the completion of University Hall in 1815. From 1815 to 1858, the present Faculty Room, a room of peculiar beauty and dignity, designed expressly for a chapel, was used for daily prayers and also for Sunday services. The pulpit was at first on the south side and later on the east side. At one time galleries were constructed on the north and south ends and were used by the families of professors, while the students and Faculty occupied the floor.