FIRE DAMAGED FOXCROFT

LOSS IS ABOUT $7,000

Foxcroft Hall, one of the two dining places used by students of the University for many years, was badly damaged by fire early yesterday morning. The fire was discovered about 1 o'clock in the kitchen in the rear of the wooden frame building, and before the firemen arrived had worked its way between the partitions and into the blind attic above, so that they had a long task before they were certain that they had it under control. It was not until between 6 and 7 o'clock that the engines were finally recalled. The danger is estimated at between $6,000 and $7,000.

Probably the damage would have been slightly less, had not the Yard watchman, who was running to send in the alarm, been mistaken for a firebug by a Radio School guard, who held him up as he was running to the box. The necessary explanations delayed the calling of the fire department for a short time.

Formerly Foxcroft stood at the corner of Oxford and Kirkland streets, and was used by graduate students mostly as a dining hall, the rooms above being rented. When the New Lecture Hall was built several years ago, Foxcroft was moved to No. 8 Oxford street. Since the Naval Radio School, stationed in many of the College buildings, was increased in size this fall, the building has been used as living and dining quarters for the petty officers, and the belongings of some of these men were damaged by smoke and water.