Medical Board Appeals for Funds

The Infantile Paralysis Board at the Medical School has appealed to the people of Massachusetts to aid in a campaign to raise $18,000 in order that the work of the commission may be continued this year. At present the commission's free hospital is lacking in the necessary funds to carry on research work. The medical profession has already declared that the suspension or curtailment of the activities of this board would be a public calamity.

Statistics given out by the Medical School show that 1,118 children were examined at the commission's clinics during the year ending November 20, 1917. Of these 402 had infantile paralysis prior to 1916; 670 during 1916, and 46 during 1917. The cases which are being followed up at the homes by the orthopedic nurses number 645; by the state field workers of the commission, 520 and by the Boston Instructive District Nursing Association for the commission, 125.

State clinics were held at Springfield, Newburyport, Haverhill, Lowell, Lawrence, Quincy, Malden, Melrose, Worcester, Greenfield, North Adams, Beverly and Lynn, with a total attendance of 956.