A DECEPTIVE REPLY

The German reply to President Wilson's peace terms will not bring the present world-strife to a close. Although both countries agree on a few principles, yet their specific desires are quite different. Von Hertling, the chancellor, has declared that the first four sections of the American note coincide with the imperial wishes, but that the other points must either be settled at a conference or discussed between the parties most immediately concerned. The Teutons have, however, conceded the validity of several Allied claims. As we look into those matters on which the enemy has apparently backed down, it becomes evident that we deceive ourselves. In agreeing to open covenants of peace, freedom of the seas, removal of economic barriers and inequality of trade conditions, and in reduction of armaments, Germany has signed away nothing. These are principles which any chancellor will approve, in theory at least, but they are not the sole points at issue. To the specific demands of the President, Von Hertling gives evasive, vague and conditional answers. Instead of consenting directly, for instance, to "impartial adjustment of all colonial claims based upon the principle that the peoples' concerns have equal weight with the interest of the Government," the Hun declares that difficulties will be encountered. In like fashion the proposals in regard to Russia are met by the reply that this concerns only Russia and the Central Powers. So it is with every particular point demanded by the Allies. In the case of Alsace alone has the chancellor been definite, and then to say that Germany will not give up that disputed territory.

An apparent and deceptive willingness to agree to Allied terms characterizes the note. Under a cover of seeming readiness to accept the proposed suggestions, Von Hertling gives replies which would make our demands mere points for future discussion.

Although this answer is addressed to the Allies, yet it seems to be designed for "home consumption." In spite of censorship and exaggerated or even ficticious reports, the rumors of internal unrest in the Central Powers are not unfounded. Mutinies among sailors as well as Socialist discontent apparently exist, even though their importance may be overestimated. No better plea could be used to quell these than that Germany has agreed to discuss the enemy's proposals, but the enemy has persisted in fighting. What is ostensibly for external peace may be in reality for internal.