LENGTHEN SUMMER VACATION

Brown and Pennsylvania State Decide Upon Radical Changes in College Calendar.

In order to meet the country's need for workers next summer in various branches of national service, two Eastern colleges have decided to terminate the college year much earlier next spring than usual. Pennsylvania State College will close on April 23, with commencement exercises on the 24th, while Brown University will change its calendar entirely, condensing the college year into a much shorter period without losing any classroom or laboratory work. Commencement day for Brown will come on Wednesday, May 29. Pennsylvania State will have no Easter vacations as a result of this arrangement, while that of Brown has been shortened to three days, including Saturday and Sunday; it will last from March 29 to 31.

The new arrangement will demand much hard work on the part of both students and faculty in order to accomplish the required amount of work in the shorter time. It has been established in accordance with the request of President Wilson that the colleges shall not omit or diminish any portion of the training which it is their patriotic duty to continue. Brown and Pennsylvania State authorities feel that the students ought to be able to enter on various forms of service at the earlier date, if it is quite possible for them to do so by a little more effort. In carrying out the scheme, Brown will make a thorough canvass of the student body to determine each man's qualifications for summer service in order that he may be placed to advantage.