FOUNDER'S ALMA MATER OPENED TO UNIVERSITY

Emmanuel College of England Extends Privileges to University Graduates.

Emmanuel College of Cambridge University, from which John Harvard was graduated, will extend its hospitality to members of the University on military service abroad. A letter received by President Lowell from Master P. Giles of the English university, states that arrangements are being made at many of the colleges of England to provide for the American officers who desire to spend some part of their short leaves at Cambridge and Oxford. "We are proposing in Emmanuel," the letter says, "to set apart for the use of American officers six sets of rooms, and if it can be managed, we should like--and it also seems historically desirable--that Harvard men should have a first chance of coming to Emmanuel if they wish. Our population now is so much occupied with war work that service is difficult unless we are able to have a continuous stream of such officers--that is to say, it would be well if the rooms set apart could be occupied continuously during term-time by relays of officers from the United States."

Continuing, the invitation states:

"There is a committee in the University, of which Dr. Hazeltine--your graduate and our Fellow--is the secretary, and we hope this committee will be constantly in touch with the authorities regulating the leave of American officers in France. If, however, you think it desirable that the Harvard people should have a first preference for Emmanuel, it might be possible to make this known amongst the officers from Harvard."