Prof. Ripley's Rejection.

COMMENT

In rejecting by a vote of seven to two the nomination of Professor William Z. Ripley for membership on the minimum wage commission, the executive council acted as if it thought he were Professor Holcombe. Most of the criticism of Ripley would fit the prevailing estimates of Holcombe and his work on this body. Doubtless the latter did much to create the atmosphere, as to colleges and college professors, which has reacted against the Governor's latest nominee.

We believe Professor Ripley would make a good commissioner, and that Governor McCall would do well to renew the nomination with the new council soon to take office. Ripley has had varied experience in practical affairs as well as in academic life. He believes in the minimum wage idea, and we could hardly expect a board to do less than be sympathetic with the purposes for which it was founded. With one member representing the manufacturers and another labor, the occupant of the place for which the Governor nominated Professor Ripley virtually shapes the policy of the board and so should believe in what it is doing. --Boston Herald.