348 HARVARD MEN IN A. F. S.

Statistics Show University's Part In Ambulance Service.

The following record of Harvard men in the American Field (Ambulance) Service has been prepared by J. H. Hyde '98, of Paris, and published in the current Alumni Bulletin: There were 348 Harvard men, volunteers, in the American Field Service, prior to its being taken over by the United States Army.

One University man, A. P. Andrew, A.M. '95, has received the Legion of Honor decoration. Forty-one Harvard men have been decorated with the War Cross, and L. Hill '10 has been cited four times.

The following were officers in the Service: Inspector General, A. P. Andrew; Assistant Inspector General, S. Galatti '10; Head of Construction and Repair, R. T. W. Moss '95.

Twenty-three University men have been section commanders. Section 30 was composed entirely of University men, and was known as the "Harvard" section. There was also the Harvard Club of Alsace, founded in 1915 by the men in Section 3.

The following men have been killed in the service: P. C. Bentley '17, killed at the Chemin des Dames; H. B. Craig '19, killed in the region of Mort Homme; E. C. Sortwell '10, killed by accident in Salonika; H. M. Suckley '10, killed in Koritza, Serbia. The following have died in the service: A. L. Bliss '16, died of pneumonia before going to the front; H. B. Lines, L. '12-15, died of pneumonia while on service in the Argonne. The following were wounded: D. W. Rich '18, C. U. Shreve, 3d, '19.

Ambulances were donated by the Harvard Clubs of New York (2), London, Chicago and Fall River; by the Classes of '85 (2), '00 (2), '01, '08 and '10. The University gave nine ambulances. Three ambulances were given in memory of H. M. Suckley '10, one in memory of E. C. Sortwell '11 and one in memory of H. B. Lines.