JUNIOR COMPANY PROGRESSING

BRITISH BAYONET DRILL WILL BE GIVEN MEN STARTING NEXT WEEK.

In spite of its many handicaps, the Junior Company of the S. A. T. C. has been progressing rapidly, and is at present well up to its schedule of instruction. This week the men have been thoroughly drilled in the School of the Company in close order, and next week the schedule includes extended order and bayonet fighting. The bayonet work will be conducted according to the very latest British methods, as two members of the company attended the divisional bayonet school conducted by Captain Harrop and Sergeant-Major Richards of the British army at the S. A. T. C. Camp at Plattsburg this summer. Before outdoor drill is stopped by the weather, it is expected that the company will have finished the old extended order drill, and have started on the new American formations as taught this summer by Captain Morize.

More Drill Wanted.

The highly commendable spirit of the men is shown by the fact that they have petitioned for a half-hour of extra drill each morning, which means that a great many of them would have to wear their uniforms all day. Enrolment in the corps is purely voluntary among the men under 18, and as in Military Science 1 last year, the men receive only a half course credit toward the degree, although the course requires really as much time as two full courses. In spite of this, however, practically all of the under-age men who are physically qualified have enrolled in the corps.

Lieutenant J. E. Daniel, U. S. A., commandant of the Junior S. A. T. C., was commissioned second lieutenant from the S. A. T. C. Camp at Plattsburg on September 16, and assigned to the University as instructor of military science and tactics. He was born in Henderson, North Carolina, and was a member of the class of 1921 at North Carolina State University. While in college he played on his class football and baseball teams, and was also a member of the college military training corps under an officer of the Canadian army.

Captain F. W. Rogers, acting captain of the Junior Company, is well known through his work with the Harvard R. O. T. C. last year and also at the R. O. T. C. Camp this summer.