CANTEEN OPENS TODAY FOR SERVICE MEN HERE

MRS. GULICK IN CHARGE

A new canteen, reading and writing room, and hostess house will be opened today by Phillips Brooks House Association at the old Speakers' Club House, 39 Holyoke street, opposite Standish Hall. It will be open to all men in the service, but is intended primarily to serve members of the military and naval units of the University. This extension of the activities of Phillips Brooks House Association has been made in order that the men who live in the Freshman dormitories or on Mt. Auburn street may find it more convenient to avail themselves of the services which are offered by the Association.

The canteen and hostess house will be in charge of Mrs. C. B. Gulick, who has so effciently managed the Radio Canteen since its establishment. For the purpose of a canteen the large room which was formerly utilized by the Speakers' Club as a restaurant will be used. A smailer room has been set aside for the use of a hostess; where men can come to arrange for the numerous social appointments which are made for the military and naval men on their free evenings. The former lounging room of the club will be turned into a reading and writing room.

Other additions will be established as the need for them develops. It is now expected that the Mending Bureau will find opportunity for activity in connection with the house. The men are invited to make use of this form of service.

The canteen will open at 8 o'clock every morning and will close at "taps" every night.