JUSTICE?

The return of the University to a peace basis is accompanied not only by the break-up of the S. A. T. C. and the Naval Unit, but also by that of the Junior S. A. T. C., whose work has been eclipsed by the larger military organizations of the College. This company has been doing a piece of work which ought not to be overlooked. It has been training hard since the opening of College, and has been drilling early every morning,--more frequently and in many respects more frequently and in many respects more intensively than the R. O. T. C. of last year. The vigorous and business-like way with which the men went into the work has won the deserved commendation of their commander and many others.

Now that the organization is coming to a close, the question of how much academic value should be attached to it has been raised. We understand that it is to count as only one-sixth of a course toward the degrees of the men who have been working in it.

The University is technically justified in giving the work of the Junior Company one-sixth of a course credit because it appeared in the catalogue as a half course for the year; but this seems quite unfair. Wholly aside from the fact that the hard work which the men have done deserves greater recognition, to give only one-sixth of a course credit is giving practically no credit at all. In order to complete the work necessary to make up a full course, a man would have to take five sixths of a course, -- an impossibility. He cannot take two thirds of a course to complete his work, since it will leave him lacking a sixth. The result will be that he will receive no credit for the military work.

This procedure is literally doing things by halves. The only practical as well as the only fair thing to do is to let this work count as a third of a course. It is bad enough juggling with thirds and two thirds without introducing the doubly complicated element of sixths. Give the Junior Company some real credit for what they have done. To their disappointment at being too young to enter the regular service ought not to be added the disappointment of having unrecognized what sincere efforts they have been able to make.