CLOSING COLLEGES

The proposition of closing New England colleges because of the coal shortage seems little short of pure ridiculousness. The Fuel Administration is expected to give its decision on this subject today, but if the administration is possessed of the intellect necessary for its work, it can return but one answer and that is in the negative. In the first place, nearly every college in New England is either directly or indirectly furnishing valuable aid to the Government in its military preparedness. This aid is essential, for the Germans are not through with attempting to sink transports. If the present program or military efficiency is to be carried out, these university adjuncts must be kept in working condition. The difference between the amount of coal necessary to heat the buildings used for military purposes and the entire college is so slight as to make its saving negligible. The radio schools, the aero schools, the engineering schools and the R. O. T. C. must be continued, and the regular college functions may as well go along with them.

On the other hand there is still great need to keep our youth occupied in the business of education. There seems to be no less demand for college-trained men. That which has almost been accomplished in this year's study will be practically lost. There is a vast distance between the nearly finished and the finished product. We may not be acquainted with the facts which the Fuel Administration has, but it seems rather clear that the amount of coal saved by closing the colleges will not compensate the loss which thousands of students will undergo.