BROOKS HOUSE PLEDGES

In a burst of righteous enthusiasm the University pledged some $50,000 to the Y. M. C. A. Red Triangle Fund. That was several months ago and the Fund still lacks $4,000 of the promised sum. There is only one thing that can be done and that is pay up immediately. At this time when rent and Bursar bills are stretching our credit to the limit, any extra payment is a difficult demand to make. Nevertheless, those who have pledged must remit immediately, or somebody else will have to make up the shortage out of his pocketbook. We have to send in to the Y. M. C. A. the amount we promised them,--we do not want to admit that the University is willing to pledge but not to pay.

Ultimately the money will come in; it always does, for we have a habit of coming through finally in everything we undertake, but the problem is to raise that sum and do it now. It ought to be unnecessary to have to send collectors around to the delinquents, but even that torture may have to be resorted to unless something radical occurs. We have to get that missing $4,000 in to Phillips Brooks House immediately, or at least let them know why we have not paid. We do not want to get the "scrap of paper" attitude toward pledges. They must be made as good as gold.