YALE COURSES WELL PLANNED

WILL PREPARE PROSPECTIVE ARTILLERY OFFICERS IN ALL BRANCHES.

The new three-year course in military science at Yale, recently provided for, will be a decided step further away from the normal undergraduate curriculum and will provide an intensive schooling in every subject which will contribute directly to the training of an artillery officer. The course will begin next fall and continue as long as the war lasts. It will carry the candidate through the theory and practice of field artillery up to a point where a final course at a regular Reserve Officers' Training Corps will result in the production of an exceptionally capable officer.

For the college man who completes the work and is sent to a camp to receive final training, some sort of war degree or certificate will probably be granted. The student in the select course of the scientific school may substitute the R. O. T. C. course for a large part of his work and receive his Ph.B. degree at the end of three years. The Sheffield man taking an engineering or chemical course in college will pursue his technical studies during the R. O. T. C. course and thus prepare for a commission in the Engineers' Reserve Corps.

Work Divided in Three Groups.

The work is laid out in three groups designated by letters. "A" subjects, while technical, will have value for the civilian as well as for the soldier. Allied subjects bearing close relation to these will fall under group "B." Thus an R. O. T. C. student may learn to speak French in a course on artillery terms and the language in general; he will be drilled in English composition with a view to gaining facility in writing clear and well-constructed letters, reports and various military documents; he will take work in science which will bear on the firing, signaling and other details of artillery; and he will study history which will reveal the situations leading up to the present war. Afternoon drills, equitation and other practical work will be included in group, "C".

If a man is not yet of age upon completing the above course of training, he may take a fourth-year course consisting of more advanced work in map problems, maneuvers and equitation.