IN THE ARENA

When the Freshman seven meets the Yale 1921 hockey team today, the old battle is again resumed between Cambridge and New Haven. We have had only one glimpse of that always interesting dual contest so far this year, and that was when the Freshman football team was persuaded that Yale was superior last fall. That defeat is not a stain to be wiped out, but it remains a disappointment which we should like to forget through the result of today's game. The war has made us fairly liberal in athletics, and we now maintain publicly that we want to see the best team win. Yet we have not become so militarily impartial that we take any particular delight in having Yale win. We want the Freshmen to administer to our friends a good drubbing and we think they can do it. But they can accomplish this only through the hardest kind of playing every minute of the game. There must not be an instant when a Crimson player slows up to take a rest, for that is always the time when the Yale bull-pup romps away with victory. If there is any man on the team who has an idea that he may become apathetic, let him inform the captain, for we want seven men on the ice who will play the best game they know how. The Arena today is to be a place for hockey and not for exhibitions of individual grace in skating. Let numerals be earned, not given.