A OHANGE IN TRAINING

After an unsuccessful attempt to make the Municipal Building a drill hall, the power that control the R. O. T. C. have decided to change the schedule for the rest of the winter. Members of Military Science 2 will specialize in one of three subjects: administration, engineering or topography. Of these no one has priority; all must be learned sooner or later by every prospective officer. In abandoning the manoeuvres within totally inadequate, buildings, the authorities have not hindered the practical training, but they have seen the absurdity of trying to secure it in a very restricted space. To make soldiers perfect in the fundamentals has been the aim of winter drill, but this cannot be obtained under conditions which provoke a loss of interest. The change is a most sensible one, for men will be learning something new instead of trying to maintain proficiency already secured.

Whether preference is given to a particular one of the new subject makes little difference. In learning any one, the student gains knowledge which is essential for winning a commission. The fact that this is a College course may cause men to just pass, and for that reason lose much of its value. continuous work will mean far more than a high grade; it will mean a better chance to secure a lieutenancy. The aim of this training is not scholarship, but preparation to became an officer.

Leaders of troops are hose fitted by superior training, knowledge or genius for the position. So many years at a military institution or a certain rank in some training corps does not make anyone even a non-com. It is the experience gained in preparatory regiments, in addition to natural or acquired ability, that wins high positions. Because a cadet has graduated from the R. O. T. C. he will not reach his goal, but because he has fitted himself sufficiently to be superior to those whom he leads he will. Since the leaders are the best men possible, whoever has trained thoroughly to win a commission will be almost certain to secure his prize, even if the enlists as a private. For these reasons every member of Military Science 2 owes it to his own prospects of success to strive for excellence and not merely for a passing mark.