COLUMBIA FACULTY GIVEN LARGER VOICE IN AFFAIRS

Recommendations Made to Have Special Committee Consulted on Dismissals.

Changes in the administrative policy of Columbia University, designed to give the faculty a larger voice in matters affecting promotions and dismissals of its own members, are recommended in the reports of two special committees of the board of trustees. These changes have been approved by faculty members representing all departments of the university and they are expected to be a substitute for the committee of reference which the University Council at first asked for, and which was to be consulted by the trustees on "any matter affecting the relation of an officer of the university to his colleagues, the president or the trustees."

It is proposed that the trustees request the committee on education, whenever it shall have under consideration any action terminating the service of a member of the teaching staff, to confer with the committee appointed by the University Council before recommending action by the trustees.

The University Council is representative of the entire university. It has 37 voting members, of whom 22 are elected by the faculty. The president and certain other men who hold administrative as well as faculty positions are exofficio members.

According to the report there have been but six dismissals from the teaching staff of the university in its history. In the five caes where the grounds were academic the opinion of the teaching staff was sought.