"LIBERAL CLUBS" ORGANIZED

TO ANALYZE APPARENT STATE STREET DOMINATION OF COLLEGE.

Organizations known as "Harvard Liberal Clubs," composed of graduates of the University, have been formed in Boston and New York, and similar but smaller organizations are now forming in Annapolis, Md., and in Washington, for the avowed purpose of associating "Harvard Liberals in clubs in all cities; to elect Liberals to the Board of Overseers and Directors of the Alumni Association; to enfranchise absentee alumni; to unify alumni Liberal opinion."

In commenting on these clubs, the Alumni Bulletin, in its current issue, states that "we are informed that the establishment of such clubs is part of a far-reaching movement which touches groups not only of University men in various places, but of the graduates of other universities."

Disseminating Literature.

The "literature" which the Boston club is disseminating lays much of its emphasis upon the apparent domination of the College by State Street. The club, furthermore, aims to examine the basis of such statements as "Harvard College has no voice in Harvard College, but State Street votes it down on every ballot." This remark was made in 1861 by Ralph Waldo Emerson, of the Class of 1821, but there are many graduates of the University who believe that the criticism still applies to the College.

The Liberal Club of Boston has the following executive committee: H. F. Day, M.D. '05, W. P. Everts '00, F. G. Goodale '06, H. M. Holmes '06, R. M. Hull '04, W. L. Mowll '99, P. E. Sargent '96. The club has been meeting at weekly luncheons, and will give a dinner tonight at the Harvard Club of Boston to greet 50 new members.