WAR PREPARATION MORE ACTIVE

MILITARY TRAINING AT OTHER COLLEGES AGAIN BECOMING INTENSIVE.

With the coming of the spring season and warmer weather, military work, which at all the colleges has been more or less dormant during the winter, is beginning to become intensive again.

At Princeton the R. O. T. C., under Major Sargent, who expects to leave soon for France, assisted by Lieutenant De Fourmestraux, one of the French officers who recently paid a visit to the University, is preparing for renewed activity. Not only in the regular corps are men being trained, but a class of more than 150 Y. M. C. A. workers will enter the University on March 21 to receive special instruction before they leave for Europe.

The Yale Battery will open a third unit for war service immediately after the Easter holidays. At that time a new ordnance course, with the support of the professor of ordnance and gunnery at West Point, will be established, and will be followed by courses in army clerical work and in preparation for service in the Intelligence Bureau and Red Cross. The Yale News also announced recently that the registration in the naval courses at New Haven now totals more than 300.

U. of P. Has Largest R. O. T. C.

The University of Pennsylvania, too, is active in war preparation. More than $150,000 has been spent for military work and every department of the University has been altered to meet the needs of the Government. The Pennsylvania R. O. T. C. is now the largest in the country, with more than 2,300 men in training.

Columbia's war activities include practical courses in aeronautics, signalling, wireless telegraphy and engineering, while 700 men have been graduated from the U. S. N. Gas Engine School at the university for service on submarine chasers.

No Cuts Allowed at Williams.

At Williams a special course in the making of wire entanglements, grenade throwing and field maneuvering has been instituted for the men who are to leave for the next Officer' Training Camp. The corps regulations have recently been stiffened and no cuts will be allowed during the remainder of the year. Similar work is being done at Syracuse University, from which a large ambulance unit was recently sent to France.

From the point of view of the extensiveness of its war preparations, the University of California probably leads other academic institutions. The university has spent more than $160,000 for such equipment as a large school of military aeronautics, which graduates approximately 60 men every eight weeks. The university has also sent 2,500 students and faculty members into active service, while the entire institution has been mobilized and all its resources offered to the Government.