SEVERAL SHIFTS IN FIRST TWO UNIVERSITY SHELLS

Withington Placed at Four in Crew A in Place of Harrison, Who Was Moved Down.

Several shifts in the first two University boats marked yesterday's crew practice. D. L. Withington '20 was given a place in the first eight, displacing J. Harrison '20 at four. Withington rowed on the first Freshman boat last spring up to the time of the abandonment of athletics, but on account of illness did not join the squad this spring until last week. Harrison was shifted to six in the second boat, where he began the season. C. F. Batchelder '20 was moved from that seat to four to make room for Harrison, forcing R. Saltonstall '20 back a crew. The 1921 crews rowed without change.

Coach Haines followed the upper University and Freshman shells down the basin for some distance beyond the Harvard Bridge. This is the longest row which the oarsmen have been able to take this season, for until yesterday there was a barrier of ice not far below the Cottage Farm Bridge. The first University and first Freshman boats, both going downstream and on the return trip, rowed neck and neck, but were not allowed to hit up the pace for a real brush. Coach Haines permitted a low stroke only, laying special emphasis on getting a powerful drive without raising the stroke.

Coxswains for the University squad are still in demand, only four upperclassmen having as yet reported for duty. Positions for at least three more are still open, while others coming out will be given frequent opportunities to go on the river. The need for coxswains from 1921 is not so pressing, but more candidates from that class are still desired. Previous training is not required. Prospective coxswains should report at Newell this afternoon previous to the time set for crews to go on the river.