"WE OUGHT TO MAKE GOOD SHOWING."--COACH DONOVAN

Track Mentor Said Prospects Were Bright For Season.--Need Field Event Men.

In view of the small number of candidates which reported at the first practice and the time which has elapsed since the beginning of the track season, the outlook for both the University and Freshman squads is promising. There are still only a few out in proportion to the number in former years, but the material on hand, though not composed of experienced men, bids fair to develop a strong team.

Coach Donovan, in speaking of the prospects, said yesterday afternoon: "The squad is developing very well. Though we are still short on field event candidates and though not a single 'H' man is back this year, still things are going satisfactorily. We ought to make a good showing against Yale and Princeton, though the latter has last year's captain and four or five varsity men back. The University's best events will be the mile and the quarter-mile."

There are as yet no pole valuators in practice, and there is no necessity more evident than that for candidates in this event. The shot-put and the hurdles are also lacking in an available number of candidates.