SOPHOMORE CLASS PLANS TO HOLD SMOKER ON MARCH 19

COMMITTEE APPOINTED

The Sophomore class will hold an inexpensive smoker on Tuesday evening, March 19, at 8 o'clock, in the Living Room of the Union if satisfactory arrangements can be made for its use. The officers of 1920 have decided upon this means to bring the men together once more before the end of the year, as it is expected that many will enter the service this summer.

The entertainment at the smoker, which is the second gathering of the 1920 men since their entrance to the University, will have a serious as well as a humorous side. Arnold Horween '20, president of 1920, and Burnham Lewis '20, the secretary-treasurer, will address the class, and arrangements are also being made to have other speakers present. Six reels of motion pictures are planned for the occasion, including a "Mutt and Jeff" cartoon and a film starring Douglas Fairbanks. Music will also form a part of the program, and will be provided by members of the class. Refreshments will be served.

When war was declared last April all arrangements for the annual Freshman social activities, such as the Class Dinner and the Jubilee, were called off, and as a consequence the only gathering of 1920 heretofore has been a smoker held in mid-winter last year. At present there are but 400 of the original class of 600 still in College, and many are due to enter the service within the next few months.

Although the Student Council recommended last fall that no class smokers be held this year on account of the war, the executive committee of that body have stated that there will be no objection to this function, inasmuch as it is to be conducted economically and will be the only class reunion this year.

A committee has been appointed by the class officers to make arrangements for the smoker, and is composed as follows: D. C. Hawkins '20, chairman, E. Cabot '20, T. H. Gammack '20, S. Paine '20 and J. L. Rochester '20.