$11,950 SUBSCRIBED BY COLLEGE YESTERDAY

JUNIORS "OVER THE TOP"

"The big thing for America to do is to support the war," said Secretary Baker in his first public statement after returning from his trip to the battle lines of Europe, last week. "The right arm of America is in France, bared and ready to strike hard. The body is here in the United States, and it must support and invigorate that arm.

"This means support by subscribing heavily to the Liberty Loans, and by adopting an attitude of confidence in its Army in France, which that Army so richly deserves."

The University answered that call yesterday by opening the second week of its undergraduate loan drive with a subscription of $11,950, a sum over $1,000 greater than the entire collection from members of the College during the first week. This auspicious renewal of the University's drive brings the total collection from the student body up to $22,850, and the grand total for the University to an amount of $61,900.

As a result of yesterday's successful returns, moreover, the Juniors gained the distinction of being the first class "over the top", when they oversubscribed their quota by $1,250.

The Freshmen, who, after a close contest throughout the evening, finally won from the class of 1919 in the day's scoring, are now within $2,100 of realizing their quota, which is over one-third of that of the College. Their total subscription yesterday was $5,050. Both of the other two classes still have several thousand dollars to collect before fulfilling their obligations.

With but $7,150 needed to meet the College quota of $30,000 it now appears that the undergraduates should far exceed that amount if all the classes do their share and succeed in at least reaching "the top". The necessary daily average has now fallen from near $5,000 to a sum of about $1,500 per day.

There will be an important meeting of all upperclass canvassers in the CRIMSON Building today at 1.05 o'clock, when plans for increasing the success of the campaign will be discussed.