ON YOUR MARK!

Today marks the beginning of the final lap of military training for the current college year. From the plans made it will be intensive in character and will call for no small amount of time. It behooves every student to make this period the most profitable in the history of the corps. Two distinct advances, however, are necessary.

In the first place, there must be a new and better spirit of discipline. To say the least, the appearance and actions of the corps at lectures and drill during the winter months has left much to be desired. Only too many men have shirked duties wherever possible. Everyone must learn and live the fact that discipline is the basis of all military training. Under a system of permanent officers the last vestige of excuse for laxity has disappeared.

There is necessary, in the second place, a spirit which will lead every man to derive the fullest benefit from all instruction laid before him. We need men who will take that active interest which will insure an added utility to their country. To take advantage of the training offered at Harvard is not only an obligation but a privilege. In the next month and a half the man who fails to make the most of his time not only fails his country but minimizes the efforts of his fellows. Military training means coordination. Every man must pull at the same wheel to the limit of his ability. The term slacker is too mild for him who is found wanting.