UNIVERSITY NINE HUMBLED 1921

FIRST GAME ON REGULAR DIAMOND AN 11-TO-4 DEFEAT FOR FRESHMEN.

In the first game of the season to be played on its own diamond yesterday afternoon, the University baseball team showed a complete reversal of form and defeated the Freshmen by a score of 11 to 4. The first-year men were out-classed in every department of the game, particularly in fielding, in which the University nine showed great improvement, making only two errors.

O'Keefe in the box for the University allowed eight scattered hits throughout the nine innings, holding the Freshmen to four runs, while his team-mates ran up a total of 11.

Little Heavy Hitting.

Ward and Hallowell led the University batters, both getting two singles. Holmes, first baseman of the 1921 nine, was the only player on either team to get an extra-base hit, sending a long drive to right centre for a double.

The University got one run in the first inning, when Evans walked, stole second, went to third on Meehan's out, Baldwin to Holmes, and scored on Gross's infield grounder. 1921 made their first two scores in the fifth inning. Bigelow singled, Holmes doubled to right centre, scoring Bigelow, and came home on Gourdin's hit. Four runs in the seventh inning by the upperclassmen put the final result of the game beyond any doubt.

L. P. Jones '19, who has been out of the game for the last fortnight, due to a temporary absence from College, was back at his old position at first base.