NINE BATTLES ELIS ON SOLDIERS FIELD

GROSS' LAST GAME

In spite of the record to date of one victory and three defeats, the University baseball team should be able to defeat Yale this afternoon when the nines meet at 3.30 o'clock. Chief faults with the team so far have been due to a lack of experience, and the last three games have done a great deal to overcome them.

The game should be somewhat of a pitchers' battle between D. J. O'Keeffe '18 and Talcott. Of the two, O'Keeffe is undoubtedly the more effective, but has been hampered in the past by poor support. During the last two weeks, he has succeeded in developing a spit-ball which should carry him through any tight places today. Talcott will rely mainly on the use of a fast ball, fairly well controlled.

The University's chances will be affected greatly by the condition of L. B. Evans '20. If the ankle injured at Camp Devens on Friday is in shape, centre field will be occupied by one of the best outfielders that has played in Cambridge for several years. Evans is sure on a fly ball, has a very accurate, though not over-strong, throwing arm, and is even more effective on the offense.

Captain R. E. Gross '19 will play his last game today, since he leaves next week for the fourth officers' training camp. His departure will be a great loss for he is a heavy hitter and covers a great deal of ground at shortstop. His leadership and aggressiveness, however, will be the qualities most missed by the nine.