LAUNCH UNDERGRADUATE CAMPAIGN FOR SECOND RED CROSS WAR FUND TODAY

TO REACH ALL STUDENTS

The University Red Cross drive for the second $100,000,000 will open this morning with three committees canvassing the dormitories for subscriptions. During the week every student will be reached by the committees and asked to contribute to the Red Cross War Fund. All subscriptions will be cash, pledges not being acceptable in the present drive. Liberty Bonds of all issues, however, will be received as readily as cash, and students are urged, if possible, to contribute in this way.

In addition to the canvassing of the University buildings, the Red Cross Committee will have a member at the CRIMSON Building every evening from 7 until 9 o'clock to receive subscriptions.

Posters at Cambridge Trust.

Throughout the week there will be on exhibition at the Cambridge Trust Company a collection of Red Cross posters. These posters, a special exhibition in connection with the Cambridge campaign, depict the various phases of relief activity and the necessity for assistance in continuing this all-important work.

Although no quota has been set for the University, the total subscription and the number of subscribers will be published daily to indicate the progress of the drive.

In opening the Red Cross campaign in New York Saturday evening, President Wilson spoke at the Metropolitan Opera House. While not confining his speech to the needs and aims of the Red Cross he included the following statements:

Extracts From President's Speech.

"Behind all this grim purpose of winning the war, my friends, lies the opportunity to demonstrate not only force, which will be demonstrated to the utmost, but the opportunity to demonstrate character, and it is that opportunity that we have most conspicuously in the work of the Red Cross. Not that our men in arms do not represent our character, for they do, and it is a character which those who see and realize appreciate and admire; but their duty is the duty of force. The duty of the Red Cross is the duty of mercy and succor and friendship.

"I summon you to the comradeship of the Red Cross; I summon you in this next week to say how much and how sincerely and how unanimously you sustain the heart of the world."