WILL AWARD FRANCE-AMERIQUE DEBATING MEDAL

MERCIER RESPONSIBLE

As a result of the efforts of Mr. L. J. A. Mercier of the French Department, the Comite France-Amerique has recently offered to the University a medal to be awarded each year to the successful contestant in a French debate. The conditions laid down after conference between the French Department and the Comite are as follows:

1. The debate shall be known as "The France-Amerique Medal Debate."

2. It shall be permanently announced in the University Catalogue, mention being made that the medal is presented by the Comite France-Amerique.

3. It shall be conducted in French and shall be open to all undergraduate students of Harvard.

4. It shall be under the direction of the French Department of the University, which shall announce each year the subject, the time, and the place.

5. The subject shall be some aspect of French civilization.

6. There shall be a preliminary trial to be held in private before three judges. Candidates will each speak five minutes on the chosen subject and six will be admitted to debate publicly for the medal.

7. At the final debate, candidates shall speak for ten minutes before three judges, who shall award the medal on the ground of subject matter and style.