PRINCETON

The days of the college exodus to Princeton are no more; the war has made intercollegiate games merely an incident in the curriculum of a college year in the stead of an important event for which the entire undergraduate body used to plan many weeks in advance. The last time the college went to Princeton in any numbers was in the fall of 1915 to watch Mahan's team give the Palmer Stadium its baptism of Harvard football. Five hundred undergraduates filled the flagship of the Fall River Fleet for one sleepless night and then enjoyed the Great White Way for an eve of celebration. Those days are but blissful memories; the Princeton games fortunately go on but without the old glamor. Today a baseball team without an "H" man on it and a tennis team which is only a reminder of the days when Williams, Caner and Washburn used to represent the University, are going to New Jersey to take up the fight where its predecessors left off.

Princeton also has the distinction of seeing its teams cut down to a "war-strength" squad and their batting order shows a similar lack of veterans. As athletic contests the Saturday competitions are bound to fall down in comparison to former years' battles. Yet now we are beginning to see "sport for sport's sake"; the days of highly paid coaches and intensively trained teams seem passed. Men now play games between recitations and drills; the snap-course athlete is a type that has disappeared once for all.

To the men who are starting south today the University wishes the best of success. Win or lose, there will be no wild excess or somber gloom. The frenzy of intercollegiate rivalry is no more; in its place the new love of a good clean game has appeared.