PUT THE RED CROSS ACROSS

The Red Cross drive at the University is lagging in a disgraceful manner. A scant $2,000 is all that has been contributed in the last four days. Most of these donations have been in small amounts of five dollars or less; very few undergraduates have given to the full extent of their means.

Those of us who remain in college are still apt to think too much of our personal comforts and pleasures. The theatre-going habit and other expensive forms of amusement have not been over-come as they should have. It is time that we found better and cheaper means of recreation. A great cause is now calling upon us and the response must be unanimous and to the limit. Those who do without unnecessary pleasures will do part of their share. How much greater will be the achievement of those who make a real personal sacrifice.

Today and tomorrow must be days of supreme effort on the part of the canvasers and of generous giving from the college. The University made a record for itself in the Liberty Loan campaign; it must not fall to respond equally well to the Red Cross. The present subscription should be trebled by Saturday night to obtain a total worthy of Harvard.