5-1 VICTORY FOR DEVENS

1921 LOST TO SAILORS

The University nine met its third setback of the season yesterday at the Ayer cantonment when Camp Devens won a 5 to 1 contest. The game was called after the University had batted in the sixth inning to allow the Devens spectators and players to reach their quarters in time for mess.

The hitting on both teams was light, but the poor condition of the field effected especially the University infield, which made four errors. L. B. Evans '20 injured his ankle in the first inning, when sliding to third base. R. Hoffman '19 replaced him in centre field.

D. J. O'Keeffe '18 pitched until the fifth inning when, after he passed a man and allowing a single, A. L. Peirson, Jr., '20 relieved him. Up to that time he had allowed only three hits. Pillion, the Devens pitcher, was found also for only four safeties. There was a shift in the University's lineup, E. A. McCouch '20, first base, and J. G. Coolidge '20, right field, exchanging places.

Harvard's solitary run was made in the fourth. Captain R. E. Gross '19, the first batter, singled and took third when J. H. Ward '18 hit safely. While Ward was caught at second base on a fielder's choice hit by Coolidge, Gross scored. The Devens runs were made in the second and fourth and fifth innings.

Ward contributed the most spectacular play of the game when he caught a long fly in deep left field.

The playing of the University was much improved over the game displayed against the sailor nines, which had scored victories previously. Stronger pitching was noticeable.

The summary of the game follows:   1  2  3  4  5  6  r.  h.  e. Camp Devens,  0  2  0  1  2  5  4  3 University,  0  0  0  1  0  0  1  4  5

Batteries.--Camp Devens. Pillion and Wilder; University: O'Keeffe, Peirson and Gammack.

Radio School Scored Easy Win.

With eight hits and 15 runs in three innings, the Naval Radio School baseball team yesterday afternoon secured a lead which the 1921 nine was unable to overcome. For the last six innings the Freshmen held their more experienced opponents to five runs while they also secured a like number. Weak fielding and an inability to obtain timely hits were the chief defects in the play of the 1921 nine. In the sixth inning the Freshmen scored three runs on one single, a double and two triples. J. T. Baldwin and H. P. King played strong games for the yearlings. The Radio School had a hard-hitting aggregation with great ability in taking advantage of their opponents' errors.

The summary of the game follows:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  r.  h.  e. Radio,  4  8  3  1  1  0  0  3  0  20  13  2 1921,  0  0  0  1  0  3  1  0  0  5  13  8

Batteries.--Radio: Boe and Neiderhorn; 1921: Bigelow; Hardell and Blair, Havemeyer.

Radio School Scored Easy Win.