NEW YACHT "ADVENTURESS" LOANED TO UNIVERSITY

ARRIVED HERE JUNE 5

Welles VanNess Moot '08, of Buffalo, N. Y., has loaned his auxiliary schooner yacht "Adventuress" to the University for use in practical instruction in seamanship and navigation for men taking naval training courses. The yacht was delivered at Fort Jefferson, L. I., and arrived at Marblehead on June 5 under the command of Tucker Daland '73, assisted by Dr. H. T. Stetson, of the Astronomical Laboratory, and eight members of the training courses.

The second cruise begins today and will have as its objective some port on the Atlantic seaboard. The third and fourth will soon follow so that by June 25 all men enrolled in the University naval courses will have received at least some practical experience on the water. During the summer it is planned to use the boat for instruction in connection with navigation courses offered by the University Summer School.

The yacht is a private one, but well adapted for its present purpose. It is 60 feet over all and 26 tons gross. Its seaworthiness is attested to by the fact that it has recently made a successful trip to the West Indies.