REQUIREMENTS FOR HEAVY ARTILLERY CAMP ANNOUNCED

COURSE LASTS 3 MONTHS

According to information received yesterday a special opportunity will be given to undergraduates of Eastern colleges who enlist in the Coast Artillery to attend the officers training camp at Fort Monroe, Va., which begins July 6. A copy of the lecture which Captain J. L. B. Buck, C. A. R. C., was to have given during his proposed visit to the University this week has been received by the CRIMSON. It tells about the course and schedule at the camp and the importance of heavy artillery in modern warfare. It may be consulted by students today at the CRIMSON Building.

According to the regulations of the training camp for heavy artillery, all candidates must be in the military service at the time they are accepted, but a special provision is being made for certain selected men now in civil life.

If subject to draft, a man applies to the headquarters at Camp Monroe and on receiving the necessary papers, goes to his local board and is ordered to report to the Artillery School.

There he is put through preliminary training with a special company and is transfered to the officers' camp when it opens. If successful in the three weeks course he is commissioned.

A man not registered has two ways of applying for the course. The best way is to go to Fort Monroe and enlist there. He will then be assigned to a special company in the Coast Artillery School and transfered to the training camp when it opens. The other way is to enlist in the Coast Artillery at any recruiting station and apply for transfer to the camp at Fort Monroe. Men doing this, however, will not be transfered by their commanding officer unless they show unusual ability.

The Coast Artillery training camp was established last June as a part of the officers' department of the school. With the establishment of the training camp came the adapation of the instruction from plain to heavy artillery.