UNIVERSITY SUMMER SCHOOL TERM ENDED SUCCESSFULLY

R. O. T. C. Camp Brought Registration Up to 1245.--Men Given Training at Lancaster.

With a grand total registration of 1245, the largest in the history of the school, the University Summer School closed a very successful session on August 10. Exclusive of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps Unit the totals were 293 men and 430 women.

The R. O. T. C. camp which consisted of six weeks intensive training, three in barracks in the Freshman dormitories in Cambridge and three in tents at Lancaster, Mass., was attended by 522 men from Harvard and other colleges. Preparatory school graduates were also admitted.

The training was under the direction of 28 military instructors, 12 of whom were reserve officers from Camp Devens detailed by the War Department. It consisted of thorough instruction in all branches of infantry drill and warfare and the liason between infantry and other branches of the service. Lieutenant Morize of the French Mission had charge of instruction in the new formations and dispositions for attack and defense. On August 8 the Corps carried out its final manoeuvre on the Camp Devens combat ground before General Crozier and President Lowell. At Cambridge a review took place for Brigadier-General Ruckman.

The regiment went to Camp Thayer at Lancaster July 22. They entrained for Clinton and then hiked the three miles to the camp ground. It had been planned to march the entire distance back to Cambridge, but this was given up at the last moment.

Members of the teaching profession who attended the University Summer School numbered 215. Thirty-seven states were represented in the school and 33 foreign countries.