BOTH S. A. T. C. AND NAVAL UNIT READY FOR BEGINNING OF MILITARY REGIME

UNDER ENSIGN GOODHUE

Ensign L. C. Goodhue '11 has taken temporary charge of the Naval Unit at the University. Ensign J. G. Alley, who was appointed commandant for the school, has not yet reported, as his orders were lost in Washington and have not yet been recovered. Weld 31 has been selected for the Headquarters of the Unit.

Over 500 men have applied for admission to the Naval Unit, and about 170 have been passed so far. The physical examinations have not been completed, but it is estimated that about 150 men will fail in these. All those accepted should be sure that their induction papers, questionnaires, and enrolment papers are correctly filed out. In order to become members of the Naval Unit permanently, the men must be transferred from their local draft board, as they will be on the same footing as men enlisted in the navy. The barracks for members of the Unit will be Weld and Grays Halls. Men who still wish information, and particularly those who still wish to apply, should report to Ensign Andrews at Weld 31 as soon as possible, because the maximum quota of 400 is nearly full.

To meet the national needs the University has been asked to offer several complete courses in engineering for members of the S. A. T. C., and a special course in mechanical engineering for members of the Naval Unit. All these courses will begin October 1, and will last for two years. They will be divided into eight terms of three months each. During the first two terms the military instruction will be 11 hours a week, and thereafter it will be reduced to six. Problems and Issues of the War will be included as a part of these courses.

The purpose of these courses is to prepare members of the S. A. T. C. for work in the Engineer and Signal Corps, and to prepare members of the Naval Unit either for Marine Engineering or for advanced work at the Naval Engineering School at Hoboken. Complete information may be obtained from Professor Hughes at Peabody 5.