TOMORROW'S R. O. T. C.

One of the biggest problems facing the University is the formation of a new military program. There are two main questions to be decided. Shall the military courses be compulsory? And shall the chief concentration of study be in infantry or artillery? As regards the first of these a compromise seems the wisest course. If military science were compulsory the Freshman year and elective after that, it would serve all its purposes. It would give every undergraduate some knowledge of the military game and would offer an opportunity to those who desired to become experts. A man with four years of military education would be invaluable to the Government in case of another war. There are at present and will be for the next few years, a fine body of retired officers in the University who could start this system going on a high standard of efficiency.

The choice between infantry and artillery as the subject of concentration is a little more difficult of solution. In changing to the latter, the University would be taking over an entirely new field and departing from its old policy.

But the artillery is the logical branch of the service for college men. In both the heavy and field there is more opportunity for the college man to use his training to advantage.

Also artillery would be easier to teach at the University. There would be more work in the classroom and less on the drill field. In all probability, guns could be obtained from the War Department and practical instruction could be carried on with these.

But infantry close order drill is the fundamental part of military training. Better than anything else it imbues the spirit of discipline. It offers a groundwork on which to build. Therefore we suggest that the first year's training be devoted chiefly to infantry close order and the following years to an intensive study of heavy and field artillery.