WAR DEPARTMENT TO RUN COLLEGE R. O. T. C. CAMPS

SIX WEEKS' COURSE

That the summer R. O. T. C. Camps maintained solely by the University, and all other camps of a similar nature are things of the past, is apparent from the announcement just made by the Committee on Education and Special Training of the War Department. According to the present plans special manoeuvres for each R. O. T. C. Unit will be held under the direction of the Government during the coming summer, and in the future all R. O. T. C. Unit will co-operate much more closely with the War Department.

Under the new plan, infantry units will be sent to several of the big cantonments; field artillery students will report to Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., and Coast Artillery Cadets will be sent to Fortress Munroe, Va. Students taking courses in signal work and aviation will be sent to the infantry manoeuvre camps for divisional instruction.

The proposed summer manoeuvres will continue for a course of six weeks, and it is planned to have two such periods during the three months' vacation. Men who attend will be payed at the rate of $30 a month.

The Committee on Education and Special Training have already received applications from more than 300 schools and colleges for the establishment of R. O. T. C. Units. Authorization has been given the committee for clothing arms, and ammunition for 100,000 students. Adequate artillery, ordnance, signal supplies and other war materials are being furnished by the War Department.