A DEFENSE OF LEARNING.

That Harvard's standard of admission is two years in advance of what the public schools can meet is the criticism offered by the supervisor of the Boston Public Schools, Mr. F. V. Thompson. President Lowell's reply defends the position of higher learning for now and for all time.

It is not, he points out, a case of discrimination. It is merely extending to the capable sudents the advantages that they deserve. American universities offer too few of such advantages, far fewer than most European universities. Is it not right for an institution with the age and prestige of Harvard to point the way to a higher standard rather than to fall back to the admittedly inferior standard of today? Is it not our privilege to assert the fallacy of a system that prepares its scholars for college four years later and far less thoroughly than do the public schools of France?

There is a theory that democracy stands for a single type of education for all. We cannot believe in such a theory. The democracy in which we place our faith is that which gives a chance to each individual to develop himself according to his abilities. Under the regime of a low standard what becomes of the able man's chance? Is it fair to him or to the commonwealth he will one day serve, so long as he presents himself fully prepared, to limit willfully his opportunities?