NOT SOON ENOUGH.

On arriving at the end of their college days, how many men have found themselves lonely, unknown to their classmates! How many, in looking back over their college career, have recognized their mistakes too late. General Johnston once exclaimed, when he had missed a train, "I ran fast enough but I didn't start soon enough."

These words apply to the cases of many men in Harvard. They come here as strangers from an obscure school, in contrast with those who enter from the big preparatory schools, and make up their minds to be lonely. Because somebody doesn't pull them out of their solitary state, they conceive the University as composed of but two classes, snobs and grinds. They forget that the men who come out on top started, in many cases, on the same level as themselves. They become cynical and profess to believe that the ordinary undergraduate is not worth knowing, that all he can talk about is athletics and parties. But in the hearts of every such man lies the feeling that he would exchange all his wisdom for wide friendship among his fellows.

Acquaintance is one of the chief means of getting the most good out of college life and there is no excuse for any man being without it. With all the varieties of opportunities and all the different types of men here in the University, anyone who exerts himself in the least can find his place among his kind.

Harvard is a small world in itself. The only way any man can make progress in any world is by going after it, and going after it early.