THE UNIVERSITY'S OPPORTUNITY

The men now returning to College from the Army and Navy are bringing back a point of view new to undergraduate life. It seems pertinent then to ask ourselves what the University has to offer these men, so many of whom have seen action.

The old routine will not suffice--that is quite certain. The man who has become accustomed to nose-dives or trench-raids will be hard to satisfy. He will refuse to give his interest and energy to anything which is not obviously and unmistakably vital.

For instance, what courses will he want? Modern European History, of course, which can explain to him the sources of the War which he has been fighting. Economics, by all means, which will give a background for the business life he intends to take up, for the reconstruction problems which must be solved. He will expect much of the University as he returns from the biggest experience of his life. His desire to learn will be greater than ever before.

Again, the demand for athletics will be more general than before the War. Many men will leave the service, knowing for the first time what real bodily health means. They will expect the University to help them maintain that health, to offer an opportunity for regular, well-planned exercise.

These are only two of the many requirements that must be met. The returning undergraduate will be more mature, more intelligent, and more whole-hearted in what he demands. It is the University's opportunity to utilize his enthusiasm, to absorb his interest so completely that the closing years of his training at Cambridge may be turned to good account.