WILL STUDY CONDITIONS IN AUSTRIA AND HUNGARY

PARKER WITH PARTY

Professor A. C. Coolidge '87, who left for Paris on December 11, with Dean Haskins, and Professors Lord and Dixon, as members of the United States Peace Commission, is now the head of a committee detached from the Peace Commission for service at Vienna. The purpose of this commission is to study the political, social and economic situation in Austria, Hungary, and the surrounding States. It is expected to arrive in Vienna either today or tomorrow, and will have its headquarters in Vienna, with sub-agencies in Prague, Budapest, Agram and other places.

Professor Coolidge is especially fitted for such a mission on account of his previous experience and training in Europe and more particularly in Vienna. After graduation here, he studied at the University of Berlin and at the Ecole des Science Politiques. In 1890 he was acting secretary to the American Legation in Petrograd, in 1892 was private secretary to his uncle, T. J. Coolidge, Minister to France, and the following year became secretary to the American Legation in Vienna. He has long been prominent in diplomatic circles and was chosen as a member of the Taft party to the Philippines in 1905.

Other members of the Vienna party are Professor R. J. Kener of Missouri, who has made a special study of Bohemian affairs; C. M. Storey '12, of the Department of Justice, Lieut. Col. Sherman Miles, former attache in the Balkan States; Major Lawrence Martin '06, Captain Nicholas Roosevelt '14, and Lieut. R. C. Foster '11. When Professor Coolidge left this country, F. E. Parker, Jr., '18, accompanied him in the capacity of secretary.