THE DRINKS ON US.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

For the information of y our editorial writer, who in Wednesday morning's editorial, makes the statement that "Canada is making somewhat tardy retribution" and "The pay of a Canadian solder during the war cannot be compared to that of a Yankee doughboy", the daily rate of pay of the common or garden variety of "buck" privates in the United States and various British "Colonial" armies is given below:

Australian Commonwealth, 6s. 2d.

Dominion of New Zealand, 6s. 2d.

Dominion of Canada, $1.10.

United States of America, $1.00.

Your writer displays not only a flagrant case of ignorance, but an entire lack of common sense in suggesting that, in as much as the American solider was handsomely cared for (?) during the war, our obligation to him ceases upon the signing of the peace terms.

For what is more shallow-brained than for one conversant with the needs of returned soldier, and realizing the extremely trying conditions under which the service man is re-establishing himself, to advocate our breaking faith with our fighting men?

A nominal war service gratuity payable in monthly installments would not be conducive to extravagance and laziness, and would provide us with means, other that "home-coming rallies," of showing our appreciation of the services rendered us.

Such a bonus would insure a subsistence for the newly discharged solider; would be an incentive for the newly established man to save, and for the more fortunate one an opportunity to put into practice his philanthropic ideas regarding the care of a soldier's dependents. R. S. FLINN OCC